City of Tempest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ban Clarification

+6
imtd
Plice
SungJ
Aloera
pacman
Alexander
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ban Clarification - Page 2 Empty Re: Ban Clarification

Post  Alexander Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:25 am

@ Pacman

You're silly. Nobody said tournaments favor the best teams. We are looking at what we actually have in this tournament and how to make it the most balanced. In the last tourney, your team was a joke in that it was like having a pro basketball team challenging a bunch of high school teams to a game, without any effort to distribute everyone to make it more fun. We have the same case this time, except it is in fact more distributed so things should be more exciting.

That said, I go back to my point about majority. As in any contest, rule or legislation we examine the need of the majority. If our community had let's say the old gang and 8/10 teams had strong backups, then this style of banning would make sense and there would be no question about it. In this case, 8/10 teams do not have strong backups and so this style disadvantages the other 8/10 teams. Does that mean that many teams stand a chance to win? No, but nevertheless it's just a matter of principle.

@ Sareve

The world isn't so bleak and cynical as you make it out to be Sareve. It's nice to see you can participate in flaming on a topic that has nothing to do with you, but unfortunately nothing you said has any logic or relevance to the situation.

Nobody is QQing about losing, this is a matter of principle and relevance to NA community. The purpose of ban is not a defensive maneuver (i.e. Ooh, I'm going Zeros I better ban Duran), because that doesn't make sense. The purpose of ban was an offensive maneuver to neutralize a player or hero that could be very dangerous. Although Plice's team is not as strong as mine, I would still ban Horus for Plice because he is very good with it and poses a threat to slowing down the pace of the game. If he can play any other heroes that's his perogative, but I know I've neutralized that option.

And regarding people who can play multiple heroes it doesn't really work that way. Barsark's B9 is extremely dangerous, but no offense to Barsark when I say that he can't play anything else to that point. So, banning B9 in a match is a strategic maneuver. Having a backup option like iDra and saying, "oh, ok. Well then we'll just slot iDra in as medic" means the ban is pointless against such a team. Not that this will happen or this is their intention, but you get the point.

Nobody is QQing about losing, and frankly considering the teams I believe a high chance of seeing KrK's team in the finals. But with that said, Artemis regardless of his home server was a Korean finalist and from the start doesn't belong in this competition. So, being able to ban after we know who's playing only makes it more balanced and therefore more fun instead of like last tourney where it was basically a pub stomp for the finals.

@ Everything

If you want to grow the community, then making things fair and giving people the feeling like they have a chance to win and grow is essential. Having a team of only the top players when everyone else are tiers lower makes it seem unattainable and not worth participating. The culture here isn't like in Asia where people are playing at that level and working hard on that stuff. It's more recreational and for the interest of the community we have to adapt our methods to that, not to the Korean method all the time just because "they are so good". Standards are there to be flexed, not to be rigidly obeyed.

Alexander

Back to top Go down

Post  Plice Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:45 pm

Alex puts it best Very Happy
Plice
Plice

Back to top Go down

Post  Pseudoku Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Oh.. and why were 2 players added to teams after the due date for registration?

Pseudoku

Back to top Go down

Post  SungJ Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:58 pm

I couldn't be too punctual for changing backups,
since I'm trying to expand the tourney and make every team possible to join all games.
So I guess you can criticize me for not being able to say "no you can't do this and that" Sad
and btw just in case you're taking me wrongly, aloera was added on the last day to sign up,
so I tried to be punctual to myself at least...;;;

SungJ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum